I have been a speech-language pathologist in Boulder CO since 1986 and have specialized in the areas of child language disorders, giftedness, twice-exceptional (gifted/learning disabled), auditory processing, sensory integration, learning styles and education/civil rights law.
For the past 25 years I have had a special interest in the use of technology as a catalyst for language, cognition and learning skills. I do my best to stay current on the many uses of tablets, smart phones and laptops for people of all ages with language and learning challenges. These devices can be effective and highly motivating in therapy and guidance is often needed to sort through the many options and customize according to need and ability. Research shows that learning that happens while we are having fun can be the most transformative and lasting education we experience.
I have a strong interest in helping parents navigate the education and special education systems so they feel heard in regards to the needs of their child, not bullied or dismissed. Since 2001 I have been trained and experienced in conflict resolution and use these skills to facilitate more productive meetings between parents and school staff. I no longer do advocacy as a stand-alone service but build this into the work I am doing with my clients as needed.
My personal and professional philosophy is that all children have a basic intelligence and a passion for learning that can be tapped and brought to flourish in a caring environment. I enjoy empowering both the child and the parents to be their own best “therapist” and capitalize on strengths while addressing challenges.
While the bulk of my private practice is children, adolescents and young adults, I also work with older adults and seniors through homecare services, especially in the areas of brain injury rehab, stroke, mild cognitive impairment, memory issues and dementia. I work on functional quality of life goals and outcomes related to daily life, work and leisure to restore an individual as close as possible back to baseline following a serious illness or injury.
I have two grown daughters of my own, and am now a grandmother. My special interests include travel, photography, film, science, reading, music, hiking, biking and cafe’s. I enjoy hands-on learning and am always expanding my knowledge of new social media technology. As further proof that anyone can learn how to create social media, I recently created a short iMovie for a cancer rehab program I worked for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnRgDCuUT6I
- 1986 MA Communication Disorders and Speech Science, University of Colorado, Boulder CO
- 1982 BA Communication Disorders and Speech Science, University of Colorado, Boulder CO
- 2013 Hanen Program for Parents: It Takes Two To Talk Certification Workshop from Hanen Centre: Instructor
- 2013 Compton P-ESL Accent Modification Training from Institute of Language and Phonology (ILP): Instructor
- 2002 Certificate in Website Design, University of Colorado Extension, Boulder CO
- 2001 Completed 40-hour training in Theory and Practice of Conflict Management from CDR Associates, Boulder CO: Facilitator
- 2006 – Present: private practice; speech, language, articulation and learning evaluations and intervention with ages birth-17 years; learning assessments for ages 18-22 years; homecare services for older adult language, cognition and swallowing disorders
- 1986-2006: Boulder Community Hospital, Department of Pediatric Rehabilitation; staff speech-language pathologist; evaluations and intervention for children ages birth – 17 years; program coordinator; manager for outpatient adult and pediatric rehabilitation
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA): Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC)
- Imagine! of Boulder County: provide early intervention speech-language services for children birth-3 years of age
- Boulder Community Hospital Homecare: provide home-based evaluations and intervention for adults aged 18 and older.